The National Eligibility Entrance Test or NEET (formerly called All India Pre-Medical Test or AIPMT) is the qualifying test for MBBS and BDS programs in Indian Medical and Dental colleges. Each year, more than 16 lakh students appear for the NEET examination, and the number grows each year with the competition.
Are you wondering how to prepare for NEET without coaching? Coaching is considered an important part of NEET preparation. But if you cannot afford a coaching institute, hard work, dedication, and the right approach can help you crack the exam from home. Following are the 11 tips to help you prepare for NEET 2022 without coaching:
1. Collect all the Information Related to NEET Syllabus
The first and the most important step towards NEET preparation is to collect all the relevant information regarding the exam. You should be thorough with the syllabus, exam pattern, and exam dates. You must know what all concepts are included and which topic has more weightage. Staying well informed is the first step to preparing for NEET without coaching.
2. Prepare Using Quality Study Material
As you are preparing for NEET without coaching, it is essential to refer to quality study material to achieve success. As per experts, NCERT books are the best option for NEET preparation. Therefore, you must complete your NCERT syllabus first. After completing NCERT and solving all the questions from it, you can refer to the books mentioned below:
- NCERT Physics Class XI & Class XII
- Concepts of Physics by H.C Verma
- Objective Physics by DC Pandey
- Fundamental Physics by Pradeep
- Problems in General Physics by IE Irodov
- Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker
- ABC of Chemistry for Classes 11 and 12 by Modern
- Physical Chemistry by OP Tandon
- Dinesh Chemistry Guide
- Concise Inorganic Chemistry by JD Lee
- Practise Books by VK Jaiswal (Inorganic), MS Chauhan (Organic), and N Awasthi (Physical)
- Objective Biology by Dinesh
- Biology Vol 1 and Vol 2 by Trueman
- Pradeep Guide on Biology
- Objective Botany by Ansari
- GR Bathla Publications for Biology
3. Create a Perfect Study Plan
The next important step is to create a study plan and stick to it. Your study schedule should not consist of long mundane hours. Instead, your study hours should be concise with short breaks to stay active.
4. Timetable Scheduling
- Segregate the topics of all 3 subjects (Physics, Chemistry, and Biology) into 3 categories and tag them as Cold, Warm, and Hot.
- The cold category should consist of easy topics that you are proficient in.
- Put the moderate topics under the Warm tagline.
- The Hot tagline should include tough and time-consuming topics that are difficult to understand.
- Start your day with the topics that come under the cold tagline. This will give you the confidence to face warm and hot topics fearlessly.
- Add previous years’ question papers in the warm tag and try to solve them regularly.
- Dedicate more time to hot topics and keep revising them from time to time.
As you have decided to prepare for NEET without coaching, you must follow self-discipline and study regularly with a timetable inclusive of all 3 subjects.
5. Set Daily Targets
Setting daily targets and achieving them is an essential step to crack NEET. Daily targets will increase your confidence level and will be a motivation factor to fuel your preparation. Make sure that you set realistic goals for yourself or else your daily targets will backfire creating chaos and confusion.
6. Practice Multiple Choice Questions or MCQs
Once you complete each topic, practice all types of multiple-choice questions or MCQs that come under it. Try to answer at least 150-200 MCQs for each topic. This will help increase your knowledge as well as speed for the exam. Keep a note of all the wrong answers and dedicate more time to that topic.
7. Solve Previous Year Question Papers
This is the most effective way to understand the pattern of the exam and improve your time-management skills. Solving the previous year’s question papers will help you cover all the topics that can be expected in the NEET examination.
8. Solve Mock Tests Frequently
Candidates preparing for NEET must undergo self-analysis and the best way to go about it is to take up mock tests online. Experts suggest that you attend at least one mock test a day when you are a few months away from NEET. When you are attending mock tests, act like you are taking the real NEET exam and try to complete it in a single stretch with no pause in between. Remember that practice makes a man perfect.
9. Revise Until You Master
Revision is an integral part of NEET as it helps you get a complete review of your preparation. With the timely revision, you can identify your weak areas and make required changes in your preparation method. The questions in the NEET exam are unpredictable and regular revision will help you stay ahead of your competition.
10. Destress and Take Out Time for Yourself
Although NEET is a highly competitive exam, it is essential to release the pressure to perform well in the exam. Taking your mind off studies once in a while for entertainment or sports activity is necessary as it rejuvenates your memory cells and helps you focus better next time. Do not forget to take care of your health and sleep for a minimum of 7 hours each day for better focus.
11. Maintain Discipline
While preparing for NEET without any coaching, you must be honest with yourself. You must maintain self-discipline, be it in your study regime, or taking up mock tests. Whatever targets you set for the day should be completed at the expected time. If you fail to do so, add it to the next day’s timetable but don’t make it a habit.
12. Motivation is the Key
Motivation helps you gain confidence and speed up the exam preparation process. If you feel tired or feel the preparation is not meeting your expectations, take a short break and come back with double enthusiasm. Think about your achievements in the past and remember that you are your mentor. A positive mindset is essential to crack the NEET exam. You can also seek help from your seniors or elders to guide you for NEET preparation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I crack NEET by self-study?
- Yes, you can crack NEET by self-study if you have proper planning in place. All you need is full dedication towards a study plan, periodic self-analysis, regular practice from sample papers, mock tests, and smart work. You must follow self-discipline as you are your coach.
2. Can I crack NEET in one month?
- If you are thorough with the class 11 and 12 syllabi, it would be easy to crack NEET in one month. On the other hand, if you are starting the preparation from scratch, it would be difficult to crack the exam. But keep in mind that hard work and dedication will always deliver positive results.
3. What is the NEET Exam Pattern 2022?
|Mode of Examination||Pen and Paper Test (Offline)|
|Duration of Examination||3 hours|
|Total Number of Questions||200 Questions (Candidates need to answer 180)|
Physics – 45 Questions
Chemistry – 45 Questions
Biology – 90 Questions
+4 marks for each correct answer;
-1 mark for each wrong answer;
0 mark for each unanswered question
|Maximum Marks||720 marks|
Aggregate score calculation
Total number of correct answers X 4 – Total number of incorrect answers X 1
(Note: There are no marks for attempting of questions)