The NDA exam or National Defence Academy exam is the best option to join the Indian Defence Forces. It is the path to join the prestigious Indian Army, Airforce, or Navy. Cracking the NDA exam is not everyone’s cup of tea and requires hard work, the right mindset, and perseverance. Apart from joining the best coaching institute, you should consider the following 6 NDA preparation tips to excel in the NDA exam in the first attempt:
1. Be Familiar with the NDA exam pattern and syllabus
Understanding the NDA exam pattern and syllabus will open doors to your success in the exam. The written examination consists of 2 papers – Mathematics (120 questions of 300 marks) and General Ability Test or GAT (150 questions of 600 marks). Each paper is 2.5 hours. The candidates are judged out of 1800 marks, out of which 900 marks are assigned to the written exam and 900 marks to SSB.
2. Practice previous year NDA question papers
One of the best NDA preparation tips to excel in the NDA exam is to practice the previous year’s NDA question papers to get an idea of the exam pattern. The exam consists of multiple-choice questions in Hindi or English language. In Maths, you will get 2.5 marks for the right answer and 0.83 marks will be deducted for the wrong answer. In GAT or General Ability Test, 4 marks will be given while 1.33 marks will be deducted for wrong answers.
3. Paper-wise NDA Exam Preparation Tips
NDA Preparation Tips for Paper 1 – Mathematics
In Mathematics, the questions are asked from Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Trigonometry, Vector Algebra, Algebra, Probability and Statistics, and Matrices and Determinants. The following tips will help crack this section:
- You should have clarity in concepts.
- You must revisit the basics if your concepts are not clear and solve as many mathematical problems as possible.
- Effective time management is essential as you need to solve all the questions within the stipulated period.
- You must practice previous year’s question papers.
NDA Preparation Tips for GAT or General Ability Test
GAT or General Ability Test consists of 2 parts. Part A comprises questions from English and Part B consists of questions from History, Geography, Freedom Movement, General Science, Current Events, Chemistry, etc.
Part A – English
The English Test is of 200 Marks and covers topics from grammar, vocabulary, comprehension, and grammar usage. You should read magazines and newspapers daily. Also, candidates should focus on basic grammar rules. You must keep a dictionary to understand the meaning of difficult words.
Part B – General Knowledge
GK or general knowledge test carries 400 marks and checks the understanding of the candidate on current affairs. It consists of questions from Indian History, Geography, General Science, Current Events, and Chemistry. Following are the preparation tips:
- Follow the news updates regularly.
- You must be aware of events like arts, sports, literature, etc.
- Read about the present economic scenario, the latest policies, and the topics related to India and its neighboring countries.
4. Tips by NDA Toppers to Crack the NDA Exam
Following are the NDA preparation tips to excel in the NDA exam by NDA toppers:
Piyush Thorve ( NDA 2019 AIR 16)
- Be clear with all the exam concepts.
- Refer to all NCERT books.
- Prepare a timetable allocating equal time to all subjects and study accordingly.
- Avoid stress before the examination.
Sparsh Kankane (NDA Exam 2018 AIR 1)
- Work hard and practice regularly to secure good marks.
- Understand the syllabus and exam pattern.
- Solve all the previous years’ question papers to know the type of questions asked in the examination.
5. Take NDA Mock Tests Seriously
NDA Mock tests are essential to increase your speed and accuracy. Once you complete the entire syllabus, you must appear for the mock test. This will help you identify your weak areas so that you can work on them. This is one of the most effective NDA preparation tips to excel in the NDA exam.
6. Prepare for SSB Interview
SSB interview consists of Psychological Aptitude and Intelligence Test. You should follow the tips given below:
- Maintain good physical strength and health.
- Exercise regularly and eat a balanced diet.
- Improve your Communication Skills.
- Work on your overall personality.
- Read the newspaper regularly to stay updated with the latest news.
Frequently Asked Questions on NDA Preparation
Que-1. What is the ideal time for NDA preparation?
The ideal time is 6 months before the release of notification.
Que.-2 Shall I give mock tests before the NDA exam?
Yes, you must attempt mock tests for the NDA exam as it will help you increase your speed and accuracy.
Que-3. How long should I study for the NDA exam?
You should study at least for 3-4 hours daily for the NDA exam.
Que-4. How to prepare for a Science subject for an NDA exam?
You can prepare for Science subjects by referring to NCERT books.
Que-5. What is the level of questions in the NDA exam?
The questions asked in the NDA exam are of the 10th and 12th levels.
Que-6. Which books are best for NDA preparation?
NCERT books of classes 9,10, 11, and 12 are best for NDA preparation.
Que-7. What are the essential topics for NDA General Knowledge?
For NDA General Knowledge, the questions are asked from Current Events, Physics, General Science, Indian History, Geography, and Physics.
Que-8. What are the topics important for scoring good marks in maths in the NDA exam?
The important topics for the NDA maths section are Algebra, Integral Calculus, Vector Algebra, Differential Equations, Statistics and Probability, Analytical Geometry, and Matrices and Determinants.